Thursday, September 27, 2007

Premiere Week!

Premiere week has finally arrived and given me many shows to chat about. It's now Thursday and I'm counting down to the premieres of CSI and Grey's Anatomy tonight, but the week has afforded me plenty of tasty TV... and a few bitter morsels to chew as well.

First the good. It may seem a silly thing to dwell on but I am so glad Olivia has her cool hair back on Law & Order: SVU. The long thing just wasn't working for me. And the first episode back wasn't half bad. I am feeling a little short changed, however. When we left our friends at the SVU squad almost everyone's job was in jeopardy. Now everyone is back as if nothing happened. Hopefully we'll get some additional insight into the missing time between the finale and the premiere as the season progresses. Cynthia Nixon's performance was suitably creepy - especially in the scene at Stabler's house. I wonder if we'll see Sam Waterston crossing over as the new DA anytime soon...

The premiere of Bones rocked. I especially loved Hodgin's reaction to seeing a picture of Angela's husband... "His hands are the size of shovels..." Angela is my favorite character and seeing her at the FBI giving Booth a hand was a kick. I've always loved the team episodes of the series and this was a good one. I only had one quibble but I'll get into that later.

I am so onboard with America's Next Top Model this season. This is the one reality show I watch. Too much campy fun and you just can't wait until the bitchy/crazy ones get what's coming to them. I've already got a few favorites. I have to root for Heather if only because so many of the other girls are as shallow as a wading pool when it comes to her disability. As for Bianca... she'd be very pretty if that personality didn't keep getting in her way.

Now the mediocre. CSI: NY and CSI: Miami didn't wow me. Although I will give props to the casting department on the latter. That kid really does look like he could be David Caruso's son.

House was okay. The janitor bit was somewhat humorous. I called the switched identities twist almost from the start. By the time we got to the big reveal I was so over this episode. Hopefully getting in a new team will improve things but I'm already missing Cameron, Chase, and Foreman. And I never even liked Chase...

Private Practice was also just okay - but that might be a good thing. I love Grey's Anatomy and the character of Addison but I thought the initial pilot was just plain awful. This episode was an improvement on that. However, Addison seems to be turning into someone else and I'm not sure I like who that is. I'm willing to give the show a few more episodes before I give it a season pass... or pass on it altogether.

Finally the bad... Um, Hello? Can we have the cool opening to CSI: NY back please? The one with the better graphics? I don't mind an update with the talent shots but even the logo looked cheesy. And speaking of cheesy... what in the hell was up with that horrible green screen shot on the premiere of Bones? It completely took me out of the scene and it should have been a really cute scene. But I couldn't get past how freaking obvious it was that they were sitting in front of a green screen. Someone should have lost their job over that lousy shot. At the very least the producers need to find themselves a new effects house.

So that's my thoughts so far. What are yours?

No comments: