Saturday, October 20, 2007

October 20, 2007

Shows are dropping right and left. No, not from the network schedules - from my DVR. I'm working on reclaiming a little of my life so I'm making some hard decisions about what I'm watching right now.

Gossip Girl, House, and Reaper have had their season passes purged. I've picked up Women's Murder Club which was just as enjoyable in its second outing as it was in its first. I wouldn't have picked this show to be my new favorite of the fall TV season but it's proving to be quite entertaining. I'm on the fence right now about Heroes. If it doesn't start picking up the pace pronto I'll wait for the freaking DVD release. The thing I always like about Heroes was that they didn't drag things out like some other shows (yes, Lost, I'm talking to you) but this season has been painfully slow. For the love of God, could the wonder twins please cross the flipping border???? And I am not digging the flying teenager. He's annoying the crap out of me. Right now the only story interesting me is Mica's family in New Orleans. Gotta love his cousin's power. Imagine being able to do anything you saw on television. Then you'd have a great excuse for watching as much of it as you wanted!

As for why Gossip Girl is going... I think I'd simply rather watch it all without the wait. Reaper isn't holding my interest like I thought it would, unlike its similar counterpart Chuck. I'm liking Chuck more and more each week. Other than the devil and the sidekick, however, Reaper isn't showing me much. I'm a little bummed about that because I so looked forward to this series.

Then there is House. I've watched House from the beginning. As I write this entry I'm even wearing a House t-shirt someone gave me (What? It's comfy!). I don't even think there is anything wrong with the episodes I've seen this season. I think I'm simply over the show. The formula just doesn't hold my interest anymore. As fascinating as some of the cases may be, they aren't enough to get me to tune in.

Now there is a show that I might add to my list of season passes - Samantha Who? I don't watch comedies as a rule. Love funny movies but rarely do I take in comedies on TV. Just a weird quirk of mine I guess. But Samantha could make me change my ways if she continues to be as entertaining as she was in the premiere. And the identity of the bellman at the hotel was driving me nuts. I knew I'd seen him somewhere before. Then it hit me. Tuvok! He's Tuvok from Star Trek Voyager. Did I just solidify my geek cred or what?

Finally, I've picked up episodes of a British series called Murder in Suburbia. There are only 12 episodes in all (2 seasons worth across the pond). The murder cases aren't much but the two leads are a blast. Posh, uptight Inspector Kate "Ash" Ashurst and her working-class partner Detective Emma "Scribbs" Scribbins solve... you guessed it... murders in suburbia. Both women are single and often commiserate about their love lives, or lack their of. One funny scene has Ash making a fool of herself in front of her boss (whom she secretly fancies). Her partner helpfully points out that if they carried guns she'd be able to shoot her. Ash responds: "If we carried guns I'd shoot myself." The show is a lot of fun. Too bad it only lasted for two seasons.

And no, I haven't watched Pushing Daises. Got them all recorded, though. My hopes for this series are so high that I haven't watched for fear they'll be crushed. I'll try to brave the pilot sometime in the near future.

No comments: